Blog Project #1: Topic #2 Television

Modern day reality T.V. When I think of what reality T.V. symbolizes to me, the biggest show that comes to mind is MTV's hit, The Real World. Growing up, I completely indulged myself in this show. I watched it consistently every season until around my junior year of high school, when my parents decided to pull the plug on their cable subscription. I was a preteen when I started hoping and dreaming to be like one of the cast members when I grew up. I wanted to travel to new cities, meet strangers, make life long friendships, and hangout with cute boys. I mean what teen didn't want that? Jersey Shore was also making it's grand appearance on MTV by the time I reached high school. I went back and forth with the two shows over the years but ultimately, you'd catch me re watching Jersey Shore reruns before I probably skimmed through enough Real World seasons before picking my favorite. What drew me to these shows was not only the desire to step into the characters shoes, but also the drama. It STILL amazes me how extra Ronnie and Sam's fights were but I STILL love it because it's so ridiculous. Clearly I'm not the only one who grabs a bowl of popcorn for some fresh fight scenes, when Jersey Shore produced 6 seasons and a recent 7th season and The Real World ran for 33 seasons.

As much as I would like to think I've grown up a little and swayed away from prime time TV drama, I really haven't. the show I chose is a very popular one but to be fair, it is the only one I will go track down somebody with a cable subscription for. My guilty little pleasure of choice is The Bachelor and The Bachelorette on ABC. Growing up, I wasn't a huge fan and neither was my mom. The ladies in her office always discussed the drama on the show but I never caught up until I hit my 20's. What drew me into the show, wasn't even how hot the guy was or wasn't, like for maybe most viewers. I enjoy the show because it's a talking point between my sisters and I and my Twitter followers. The drama of the people competing against each other is what keeps us talking. I never truly noticed it until this past season of The Bachelor featuring Arie Luyendyk Jr. As exciting and fun as the first few episodes come off, when everybody is getting introduced and starting to get a feel for the place, I feel as though I start to somewhat lose interest the more people who leave the show. When Krystal Nielson went home this past season, I think we all took a big sigh of relief but at the same time, I think we all kind of missed the drama. I know I did after awhile. As annoying and problematic as she was, she gave the show a high talking point.

If you've ever tuned into the Bachelor/Bachelorette series, you know it's a great pick me up for the Monday blues, (or Tuesday blues if you subscribe to Hulu instead). It's a nice show to come home and unwind to while making dinner or cleaning. It comes on 8P.M. on Monday nights for around 12 weeks. Aside from the usual ten(ish) episode season, there usually is 2 or 3 special episodes where the cast usually comes together for more of a talk show to discuss the current issues and drama at hand and ask some long awaited questions.

The episode I watched for this project was the first episode of the newest season featuring Becca Kufrin who was the winner, (but loser at the same time) of the previous 22nd season featuring Arie. Like I already stated, that opening episode is what I love. I love seeing everybody getting introduced and getting a feel for who I like or dislike. As the show continues, my opinions on people usually sway or drastically change over time. There's always those contestants from the very beginning you absolutely love though. That's really what I enjoy about that first episode as well, finding that person and hoping the entire season that they will keep receiving roses.

The Bachelor and Bachelorette series as one time was primarily based towards women, but over the years I personally think it has somewhat expanded to the male viewers as well. With Bachelor brackets that men (and women) can bid into and keep track of who is going home and who is staying, it has really turned it more into a game for viewers who think they have a good shot at winning some money, or bragging rights. Whether they like the drama, contestants, the romance, the fashion, the Bachelor or Bacheleorette themselves, there really are different draws for viewers and I think that's what keeps ABC coming back for more with production each year.

I don't usually pay attention to commercials while watching shows usually, strictly because I normally get up and do something until my show resumes but there are certain commercials I always associate the Bachelor with. Cleaning products, new models of cars,  hair dye, and tooth paste. I thought it was funny when I searched the internet even just to see if it was just me who noticed this, but the article I attached really did confirm, I really did see a lot of cleaning product commercials, Clorox in particular. It's like they know I get up to clean or am typically cleaning when I have this show playing. It's literally no coincidence. The same goes for the tooth paste and hair dye brands. I'm watching a show that has beautiful people on it who all have great teeth and hair. Some people watch shows like this and compare themselves even to the contestants. Modern day advertising has us convinced we can go out and buy a $4 tub of toothpaste that will give us the $400 whitening job that most of the people on the show are sporting. People may even see a car on the show and think they need that as well to boost their chances of scoring a complete babe.

Tying back into reality T.V. and analyzing the culture of it more, the one thing I do favor The Real World or Jersey Shore's trash drama over the glamorized Bachelor life is that nobody is competing for one person. The reason I swore off the Bachelor series for so long was because I didn't like the idea of 20 beautiful, successful, independent women competing for one average Joe type of guy. Somewhere along the lines of social media and morning talk at work, I did fall into the targeted Bachelor audience though. Like I mentioned earlier, The Bachelor appeals to viewers for various different reasons though. I feel like the two biggest reasons the show does have such a huge fan base is based on the drama and the star of the show. What's interesting to me though, is the show appeals to women (and men) of all ages. It isn't just aimed at preteens or middle aged women, it reaches a audience of viewers of various ages. The rise of social media I think helps incredibly, especially if you are an active Twitter user like myself.

I hate stereotyping, because I do feel like the casting call employees do pick a wide variety of women/men for the shows, and maybe I have not been a long time viewer of the show, but the one thing I did notice a lot more of in the last two Bachelor seasons, was that most of the women competing had a lot of the same occupations. It seemed like everybody was a personal trainer, blogger, or a real estate agent. There were a few women who were like restaurant owners or physical therapists, but weirdly enough most of the jobs on season 22 were completely normalized, average jobs. Maybe it's because I'm not 16 anymore wishing I was a established woman with an exotic job like I feel like most of the contestants used to appear to me. It was realistic though, and I actually enjoyed that. If I was a foreigner visiting this country though and saw the opening introduction episode, I would however assume every petite blonde under the age of 30 was a real estate agent. I'm not even kidding you, I would be thinking, "Wow, what other jobs do women in this country do?"

Dating shows like The Bachelor, VH1's Rock of Love, A Shot at Love with Tila Tequila, or I Love New York, are all such unrealistic glamorized dating shows that America eats right up. If I was viewing American culture based on their choice of reality TV from an outsiders perspective, I would be thinking, "Wow, these people have nothing but time money and time." Time to plan out these elaborate, dramatic shows and cast entire groups of people across the country. Money to blow on lavish places of casting, entire crews, hair, makeup, the whole 9 yards. This much time and money goes into people 'finding love?' I would be severely confused and concerned.

The weirdest thing I learned about the show that I had no clue about was that contestants had to undergo STD testing. I knew they went through intensive interviewing in front of producers and crew but I had no idea they turned away so many people for psychological reasons and herpes. Maybe it's because in my mind, I don't think of The Bachelor as Jersey Shore. There may be a quick nudity or a sleep over scene in a Bachelor season, but I don't register it as the same type of sex as Jersey Shore's 'smoosh room' scenes. Maybe to some, this is an obvious thing that was already known, clearly I understand why they would not accept anybody with a condition that could affect other cast members, but it still made my eye brows rise with surprise.

On that lovely note, I hope my post intrigues you as much as it did me. Reading through articles and watching one of my shows is defiantly a task I love to do. The Bachelor is a great example of prime time reality TV and as popular as it is, I'm really glad I chose it to analyze. This show has grabbed America's attention for over a decade now and I don't predict it slowing it's roll anytime soon so better time to dissect and discuss than right now.

Image result for the bachelor

Image result for the bachelorette



https://nypost.com/2018/02/27/the-std-that-keeps-most-contestants-from-competing-on-the-bachelor/

http://adage.com/article/media/business-bachelor/300852/

https://abc.go.com/shows/the-bachelor

https://www.theodysseyonline.com/the-5-types-people-who-watch-the-bachelor
(I'm fan #2 on this article)

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/news/a35733/the-bachelor-recap-what-guys-actually-like-about-the-bachelor/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6MnAZBw8pA


Comments

Popular Posts