Persuasive Techniques

When I read the description to this topic, I couldn't help but think of my daily drive to work. I work 7:30 - 4:30 most days so I typically catch all the morning and evening talk on the radio. I listen to the games usually played and I also hear what prizes they offer up to the winners. Typically on 99.9 KRKT, they include a giftcard to Del Taco or Little Ceasers accompanying whatever main prize they have. After they do a round of the game or after a brief song change, they'll usually play an ad by Little Ceasers or Del Taco. I get that the ad is tying to in with the prizes, but typically it's so cheesy it doesn't do the job for me. Some people may hear it and think, "Hey, that's a great idea, I'll pick up some pizza for the kids tonight", or "Wow I didn't realize Del Taco had a dollar menu, I think I'll go there for lunch!" I see this one either drawing consumers in, or doing the opposite as it did to me. It's great marketing at the right time, such as during lunch or right before dinner, especially since you're probably already in your car going somewhere if you're still listening to the radio, like me. This ad targets those on the go, who need to fit something quick and cheap into their lives.
But, if you hear it at the wrong time, it's just annoying. Do you want to hear the same obnoxious voice telling you to try pizza, pizza over and over again every commercial break? Me either.

Timing can be key. I believe this is usually the case for most food and beverage advertising. Take the Super Bowl for example, I would expect to see plenty of Doritos and Budlight commercials because that's what most Super Bowl party kitchen counters consist of during the game. Not only am I referring to the commercials during the game itself, but I also mean the newer product commercials that come out in the coming weeks leading up to the game. Those are the ads that I'm going to overhear that is going to remind me I need to pick up snacks for the game. It's all about the time consumers are going to catch the ad and utilize it.

IHOB for example, good for them for introducing a burger line right before summer. Bad for them they chose to change their name, (even if it may just be a publicity stunt.) Either way, I think we can all agree it was a total dud. Despite the nation finding it a complete joke all over the internet, they did however increase their sales. What I think drove people in, may even be sheer curiosity. How big is this new burger menu? What kind of burgers are we talking about? Are they fairly priced? Is it better quality than their previous line? All I can conclude by their lame remake at a lunch line is that it arose questions and sparked conversation bringing the popular chain back to light. Again though, this brand focused on time. Since the breakfast crowd has died down over the years with the chain, the lunch crowd might be able to revamp some life. Del Taco and Little Ceasers may not change their name in the near future, but they have a specific crowd they strive to market to with their ads and the time they play.


https://www.ispot.tv/ad/dwdl/ihop-ihob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV89zxrtM-Q

https://qz.com/1194407/this-years-super-bowl-commercials-may-actually-surprise-you/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC6Xr6epabg

Comments

  1. I agree with you about timing being the key to food and beverage commercials. I myself thought IHOB was a bad move. It actually discouraged me. I do feel that the taco commercial you speak of would be a one time catch, but to repeatedly do it would be annoying after a while to me. I would want to get new commercials added in throughout the week, and maybe change the timing on when to keep playing the Del Taco commercial. Sometimes to over do something can get annoying and have the opposite results than intended.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts