Social Media

https://www.instagram.com/kaylawickline/

For this weeks objective, I'm choosing to use Instagram, considering it is my favorite site to frequently check.
On Instagram, I don't follow so many important or significant people, (with the exception of Joanna Gaines) but for the most part, I follow a lot of business pages. I follow more food and clothing sites than anything, such as Hazel and Olive Boutique, Torchys Taco's, Bentley's Coffee, and other random local and national restaurants. I blame this solely on the Instagram search/explore page. If I see some food or a cute outfit with a good deal, I tend to hit the follow button.
When I think about my Pinterest or Twitter page, they both fall between the same lines. I tend to follow more comedy pages or food based pages. Not very often do I catch myself caught into a political or opinionated post. I think the furthest I get with that is seeing people's opinionated tweets on Twitter, or finding myself on the discover page. When it comes to what I retweet, I only ever find myself retweeting funny, relevant things to my life. I personally have more liberal views so occasionally I'll retweet a funny meme or two tying back to Trump's ridiculous views or plans.


I don't totally feel like social media has enhanced my ability to take action. I believe social media has made me more aware of ongoing issues, but as we discussed last week, how much is true?
Which brings me to this last presidential election, all my peers on Twitter and Facebook had constant opinions about the debates and things that were purposed, but not many of them  chose to vote. They could have taken more action on the matter, but instead they just shared their thoughts in 140 characters or less or retweeted somebody else's similar view. That's what I mean by saying it makes us aware, but it may not make us completely take action. 

There's so much I probably wouldn't hear or see in my typical 9-5 work day if I didn't logon to my social media accounts. The issues portrayed in the media did push me to vote in our presidential campaign so I can conclude it has influenced my life. Twitter is mainly how I stay involved with anything political, even if much of it is based on opinion, there are many articles shared around there that I probably wouldn't catch on my Pinterest or Facebook.

Comments

Popular Posts