Newspapers

I believe I talked about newspapers and news in a previous posting we had, but to refresh anybody else, I grew up with the local news on before we left for school and when we got home at night. The morning and evening news was something we incorporated into our daily routine, thanks to my mother. I can honestly say it's the only thing I miss about having cable.
As far as newspapers go, those surrounded small parts of my life as well. My parents will always subscribe to four magazine services: The Democrat Herald, Lake County Examiner, The New Era and Tribal Tribune. They like knowing what goes on in their current community along with their past communities. Even if they don't read every article offered, they still usually read through the front page, the classified, obituaries, and skim through the other offered titles.
When I was just a small child my parents would have me pick small sections out of the paper to read out loud at night to practice both my speech, reading, and to help me expand my vocabulary. I didn't particularly love it as a kid, from what I could remember, but I am forever thankful my parents made me do it. I carried this learning exercise into adolescence and eventually landed a position on the school newspaper and yearbook. I ran the marketing side of the paper. My job was to go out and recruit local businesses for sponsorship. Unlike my peers, I wasn't in charge of the stories published, but I always kept up on what was happening through their stories and interviews.

Over the years though, I didn't stay as connected with the news as much as I used to. After moving out and away from home at 18, I didn't subscribe to cable and I didn't subscribe to a newspaper service. I was part of that unplugged statistic who chose to stray away from traditional subscription plans. The only way I still stay connected to current events is from the morning radio station talk, Twitter/Facebook, and podcasts.

As far as credibility goes, I don't find social media like Facebook or Twitter to be the best source, but it does put the headlines out there. I don't think the overall content of the article is always true, because anybody can publish anything, but I do however believe media platforms bring attention to on going news stories. Even if it touches on more local than national news points, I'll have to say the radio is the most credible to me at this point in time. Every hour on the hour the news person gives traffic updates, local events happening, local crimes or accidents, then they touch on more national, political news updates. All of which I can find in titles of the Democrat Herald if I chose to pull it up online on that same day. Podcasts touch on specific news stories, but I feel like they do more of a break down of opinions and their own experiences versus giving all the details to the the direct story. Opinions and beliefs is what blurs the lines of delivering any message. Hearing or reading the news isn't the most important part of my day. I don't go out of my way to read it or watch it. If it's posted somewhere, or I over hear it, or read it on a link from a site I'm already on, then of course I'm all ears/eyes. However, it is not a routine part of my day at this time.

I don't subscribe to any politician websites, papers, or blogs. Circling back to my above point, I don't go out of my way enough to follow news stories. The very few times I do, they usually don't involve politicians or anything pertaining to politics. I know I should hold more of an interest, but it's really hard to when I don't agree with a lot of the things happening in our country right now.

I think on a scale of 1-5, I feel about a 3. Strictly because the articles are out there, but they don't always hold the facts. We have access to billions of head lines all over the world, but sometimes the stories don't match up or don't have the content that even makes the story. For example, ICE and the immigration issues we have surrounding this country right now. I feel like no matter what I listen to or read, it all circles back to immigrant families getting torn apart with no leads on how long these people will be separated or kept in captivity. We all know they're separated and children are getting 'lost', but there's so many stories out there, what's the truth? There's so much room for vague stories and head lines pointing to different answers but even if we were given a very laid out, informative article, how much of it would be the truth? How much would the government not want us to know?
I believe it's important to be informed in whats happening in both our communities and in our country so we can feel confident and safe here. Unfortunately, questions get swept under the rug with not a lot of answers in return.

http://www.debate.org/opinions/is-the-news-media-trustworthy-anymore

Fake News and internet
http://www.davegranlund.com/cartoons/2016/12/08/fake-news-and-internet/ < <The Artist's Page



Comments

Popular Posts