The Influence of Music

When I think of a time I was 'restricted' to music I think back to my early childhood. My parents were never really strict on what we watched or listened to, but they did try to preserve our little innocent ears as long as they could. We primarily listened to country or old rock music growing up with little to no exposure to pop music. It wasn't until I switched elementary schools in 5th grade that the world of music suddenly changed for me. All my friends were blasting all the latest pop along with 50 Cent and Eminem. When I started buying the same CD's my mom about had a heart attack. My dad however already knew all the songs and didn't see a problem with anybody listening to it. Sure enough, my mom lost interest in trying to control the radio station and my CD purchases over time. Some of my friends had the same issue. Their parents weren't totally psyched about their kids listening to rap or pop that had sexual, violent, or drug references but eased up as they got older.
My sisters are twins that are 3 years younger than me. By the time they reached early pre-teen years my mom, by now, didn't care one bit what they listened to or saw on a screen. I was about 14/15ish around this time and I can clearly remember telling my mm, "I can't believe you let them listen to 104.7! (radio station for anybody unfamiliar) I was never allowed to listen to that until we moved schools! How unfair!" I even tried turning off the radio whenever the twins were around because I didn't think it was fair my mom was so against my choice of music when I was their age. Once they got a little older, I thought it was cool we could bond over the same music choices.

It's so silly to think about, but that was my only real experience with music restrictions that sticks in my mind. Looking back, it was just a dumb sibling thing. We were always jealous of anything that one of us got to do and the others didn't. It also just made me look and sound stupid. Instead of enjoying music together, I was trying to shelter them like I had been for a short while.

As far as a favorite genre goes, I’d have to say it’s a pretty even mix between pop and country. When I get bored of one, I switch back to the other. I feel different things each day that calls for different music types. I’d have to say I’m a huge Florida Georgia Line, Brothers Osborne, Kenny Chesney, Tim McGraw, Thomas Rhett type of girl as far as country music goes. When it comes down to pop only one artist has my complete admiration and that would have to be Lady Gaga herself. Come on, who doesn’t love her?



Comments

Popular Posts